During this time of social distancing, we are committed to sharing FREE Resources that Educate and Entertain!
Blue Ridge PBS is offering classes Monday-Friday from Noon-1:00pm
in partnership with local teachers and experts from regional businesses,
Roanoke City Schools, and Roanoke County Schools.
Classes will run through June 19.
Southwest VA TV Arts & Physical Education Schedule (all starting at Noon)
- Monday - Physical Education/Sports with Coach(s) Gruse, Lonker, & Poff
- Tuesday - Arts & Crafts with Hillary Hardison
- Wednesday - Theatre Arts with Brett Roden (Producing Artistic Director, Roanoke Children’s Theatre)
- Thursday- Dance Arts with Riley Fitzgerald (Divine Dance Center)
- Friday - Music with Noel Anderson
Literacy for upper elementary students, Monday-Friday at 12:30pm with Dr. April Small, Reading Specialist
Southwest Virginia TV Classroom will be available on SWVA PTV over the air on WBRA 15.2
and on cable: Citizens 82, Cox 107, Comcast/Infinity 264, Lumos 17, Shentel 157 & Dish 16!
Blue Ridge PBS, VPM, WETA and WHRO Public Media are working closely with the Virginia Department of Education to provide Standards of Learning Aligned instruction to students in grades K-10 who are unable to access other distance learning options due to a lack of high-speed internet.
“VA TV Classroom” will air instructional content from 1-4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- 1:00pm K-3 language arts, math, science, health & more - guide
- 2:00pm Grades 7-10 algebra & earth science
- 3:00pm - Grades 4-7 instruction - guide
See it in the Blue Ridge PBS service area on SWVA PTV over the air on WBRA 15.2 and on cable: Citizens 82, Cox 107, Comcast/Infinity 264, Lumos 17, Shentel 157 & Dish 16!
Resources for Lifelong Learning
PBS KIDS content is available anytime, anywhere on the Blue Ridge PBS KIDS 24/7 broadcast channel, through the PBS KIDS Video app on mobile and streaming devices and at pbskids.org. You can also find a selection of fun, engaging online games developed by educators, to enhance children's learning.
For parents and caregivers, the PBS KIDS’ new weekday newsletter offers activities and tips you can use to help kids play and learn at home. SIGN UP HERE!
For educators and caregivers, while you work to keep students engaged during an extended break from the classroom, Blue Ridge PBS Learning Media is a digital resource with content and lesson plans for grades pre-K-12.
In addition, eMedia VA is a central place to find SOL correlated content from educators across Virginia and over 500 organizations (museums, Colonial Williamsburg, Disney, science centers, and more). You’ll find activities, videos, and wonderful content.
Thanks to our friends at WHRO, high school courses are available for Virginia students! digitallearning.whro.org/
Virginia Learns Anywhere In an effort to support Virginia educators, VDOE created the Continuity for Learning (C4L) Task Force consisting of teachers, leaders, and collaborating educational partners across Virginia. The C4L Task Force has prepared Virginia Learns Anywhere which reinforces much-needed structure while also empowering individual teachers to support students in learning remotely. The C4L Task Force encourages divisions to develop and implement continuous learning plans in partnership with local county health departments, families, staff, and local boards of education. Find resources at doe.virginia.gov/instruction/c4l/virginia-learns-anywhere.shtml
- https://pbskids.org/apps/ - 44 NEW Games launched in Summer 2019 with more to come!
- Scratch Jr Creative Coding App - https://pbskids.org/apps/pbs-kids-scratchjr.html - Learn to Code, Code to Learn!
Create stories, create games, create your own world!
- PBS Parents - https://www.pbs.org/parents/ - for parents of children ages 2-8
Coloring pages, crafts & experiments, games & apps, birthday parties, recipes
- Arts After School - https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/arts-after-school/
- Design Squad Global Clubs - https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/dsg16-sci-startingaclub/starting-a-dsg-club/
- Reading Rockets - Launching Young Readers - http://www.readingrockets.org/reading-topics/afterschool-and-community-programs
- Start with a Book - Read. Explore. Learn. - https://www.startwithabook.org/summer-science/river-rangers-book-based-science-adventure
Find Activities for Learning at Home with Full-Time Kid
Being home can be tough for students, but there are still plenty of ways to learn and grow outside of the classroom.
Get creative with DIY science experiments, homemade bird feeder tutorials and tips on mastering card tricks.
EXPLORE THE COLLECTION!
Resources from Primetime Programming!
- Ken Burns in The Classroom - pbslearningmedia.org/collection/kenburnsclassroom
- Masterpiece - https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/
- A Capitol Fourth
- American Experience - Historical Documentaries
- Chasing the Moon
- PBS Summer of Space
- NOVA - Science Programming
- Country Music: A Film by Ken Burns